Mpasatia: Two bodies retrieved as search for trapped miners continues

-

The search for missing persons feared trapped in a collapsed illegal mining (galamsey) pit at Mpasatia in the Ashanti Region has entered its second day.

On Tuesday, April 1, community members, with support from the police, recovered two bodies, but it remains unclear whether others are still trapped beneath the debris.

The search effort has intensified, with more locals joining after a call for support from traditional authorities. Kwaku Duah, leader of the search party, explained that they have been working since 5 am, using basic tools to dig through the sand in hopes of finding more victims.

Mr. Duah revealed that the community mining scheme had previously been in operation, but it was halted when the new government took office. Since then, illegal miners have continued to enter the site in search of gold, often undetected by local authorities.

“This is not organised mining,” he said. “It makes it very difficult to locate the missing persons, as we cannot determine who they are or how many are still trapped.”

The Assembly Member for Mpasaaso Ahenbronum, Salifu Ibrahim, said that despite calls for the closure of the pits, no action had been taken by the local assembly.

“I am praying that God will be on our side so that the two bodies found will be the last,” Ibrahim said. “We hope to remove the remaining sand soon, and we are hoping no more bodies will be discovered.”

Since the incident, no further reports of missing persons have been received from families. Mr. Ibrahim added that the pit had been abandoned for some time, and although illegal miners were advised to stay away, many have returned to the site.

ALSO READ: